You might not be aware of the fact that there is a difference between the type of paint that should be used on floors and walls versus the one for the ceiling. Many people use the same emulsion, but they experience issues with the application and adhesion. In fact, painting a ceiling is an arduous task and there is a possibility that you’ll end up with a splash of it into your face.
Thus, you need an emulsion which is splatter resistant and can hide textures and curvature, such as water stains and sagging. However, ceiling paint comes in a wide range of formulations and finishes and there is a wealth of products to choose from. But how can you know which is the best product to choose?
Top Picks for 2021
To make things easier for you, we’ve tested a number of products and we’ve come up with the best one worth purchasing.
1. Benjamin Moore Ultra-Premium Waterborne
This ceiling emulsion comes from a trusted brand and is designed for the aesthetic. It comes with no VOCs and provides a super-flat finish without being toxic on the application and while drying. So, if you want an easy-on and great aesthetic interior option, you should definitely opt for the Benjamin Moore Ultra-Premium Waterborne product. What’s probably best about this emulsion is that it is possible to order custom colors which can suit everyone’s needs. The only setback we could notice is the inability to return a custom color if you experience any issues.
2. Rust-Oleum 253536 Metallic Accents
If you want a touch of elegance to your ceiling, you should definitely consider to Rust-Oleum 253536 Metallic Accents product. What’s best about this product is that it can be also used for both interior and exterior walls, as well as, furniture and doors. Its water-based formula comes with no odor but offers a metallic appearance due to the use of mica beads. It is available in 15 different shades and usually dries in only 30 minutes. You can use the 32 fl oz container to cover around 105 square feet. Thanks to the simple and straightforward application, you can clean the mess with warm soap and water.
3. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions Insulating
This flat ceiling product dries very fast while keeping the odor and toxicity low. The Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions Insulating product comes at a very affordable price only adding to the thermal regulation that keeps your power bill down in the winter. It is available in 1-5 gallon containers and provides minimal splatter and ability to clean it up easily with soap and water. It is a product aimed for interior ceiling surfaces as it dries with a matte, flat finish and provides thermal insulation. Besides being easily applied and cleaned, it isn’t extremely good for aesthetic purposes.
4. Glidden Latex
This product sports a splatter resistant material and provides a flawless white finish. It perfectly hides the surface imperfections and has a very low odor when applied and while drying. The Glidden Latex is available in a 3.785-gallon size, providing a high-quality product which you can rely on to cover flaws with just one coat. It usually dries in around one hour so you can easily achieve great coverage. Thus, this is the perfect model if you want to cover imperfections across your ceiling caused by leaks and cracks and give your ceiling a matte finish.
5. KILZ Color-Change Stain-Blocking Interior
This affordable and easy-to-apply product is a perfect one to choose if you need to hide any imperfection on your ceiling. Additionally, it also prevents new stains and has a self-priming feature. It might not be the best product for aesthetic oomph, insulation, and anti-glare treatments, but it is extremely affordable if you need mild to moderate stain-blocking power. Nevertheless, you should keep in mind that the KILZ Color-Change Stain-Blocking Interior might slightly change the color of your ceiling.
6. True Value Flat Latex
This is an extremely good product as purchasing it means you’re getting a whopping five-gallon bucket of matte-finish, non-splatter formula that promises efficient coverage in a long-lasting application. It is a latex product which provides exceptional and durable coverage and comes with a 15-year warranty. What’s probably best about this product is its low price, the ability to limit pollution, prevent VOC-related sickness, and allow fast drying. If you’re wondering whether it has some setbacks, you’ll be amazed to learn that it has no downsides we could notice.
7. Prestige Paints Interior
The Prestige Paints Interior is a primer and an emulsion product which is easy to clean and offers a pleasant aesthetics. The product comes with a small amount of VOC and a latex composition for duper-fast dry. Thus, it means that it reduces the effect the minimal VOC content. It is an eco-friendly option which is available for a very affordable price. Nevertheless, it’s important to note that the coverage it offers is not superb and a single application might not meet your needs.
8. Leyland Trade Contract Matt
This is a high-quality emulsion which can be used for both ceilings and walls. It has a thick consistency which makes it extremely easy to apply with a roller or a brush. The Leyland Trade Contract Matt is available in two colors, traditional white and contemporary magnolia, which blend well with any interior design. One liter of the product can be used to cover up to 14m².
Additionally, this product perfectly covers all minor surface imperfections and can be used on previously painted or bare surfaces. You will get a 1-year manufacturer guarantee when you purchase this product. It sports a washable formula and is available in a convenient pack of 10 liters for up to 140m² of surface coverage. However, it takes a long time to dry, even about 4 hours depending on the temperature, and need a primer for great coverage.
Having a neat and aesthetically pleasing ceiling is as important as your floor. So, pick one of the products we’ve suggested and added that perfect look to your ceiling you’ve always dreamed of.
We also made a list of some other worth mentioning paints that you shouldn’t miss:
- Acrylic ceiling paint formulated with a disappearing pink color-change technology.
- Easy to apply – helps prevent missed spots.
- For smooth or textured ceilings.
- Quick drying: recoat in as little as two hours.
- Self-priming paint for ceilings.
- Washable and low odor
- Covers over most colors
- Splatter resistant
- Colorfast finish
- Can be brushed, rolled or sprayed
- Ready to use, roll-on smooth wall and ceiling decorative finish
- Use with different applicators to create a variety of unique texture patterns
- Hides surface imperfections on interior walls and ceilings
- Low odor, paintable, whistle
- 2 gallon tub will cover up to 150 square feet
- Never miss an area again!
- One coat coverage
- Dries to a white, non-glare finish
- Even finish to all ceiling surfaces, including acoustical tile
- Low odor, low VOC
- This item is a RUST-OLEUM 260967 Ceiling Paint-Gallon
- Purpose of use for Painting Supplies, house-paint
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Color changing to show coverage.
- Applies pink, dries white.
- Features solid hiding and easy application.
- Resists spattering when applied with a roller.
- Provides a beautiful uniform flat finish.
- Tones down ceiling glare and provides maximum diffused light.
- Self priming over Drywall.
- Self-Priming formula - requires no sanding
- Mold & Mildew-Proof paint film - guaranteed for 5 years
- Resists dirt and moisture on film coating
- Finish is washable and scrubbable with soap and water
- Product contains a mildewcide to prevent the growth of mold and mildew on the paint film only