There are a million and one ways to jazz up a meal, and it all starts with the side dish. Side dishes are an essential component of everyday meals, but most people make them boring. There are many complicated recipes, but all you really need are simple ingredients, good seasoning, and some creativity to make them tasty.
Coconut rice is typically used in southeast Asian cuisine, making it suitable for vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. It is delicious, nutritious and thanks to this recipe by corriecooks.com, it is also exceedingly simple to make! All you need are an Instant Pot (if you don’t have one already, go and buy one, you won’t regret it) and some essential ingredients.
- 2 x cups rice in fresh water and drained
- 4 x cups water
- 4 x tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 x cup currants
- 2 x tbsp aniseed
- 1/4 x tbsp cloves
- 1 x tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 x cup unsweetened coconut grated
- 1/2 x cup coriander leaves (optional)l.
- 1/4 x cup cashew nuts (optional).
- 1 x tbsp salt
- You can set the Instant Pot to sauté mode while putting your canola oil, aniseed, cinnamon powder, and cloves inside.
- Allow sautéing for 30 seconds.
- Add in your rice and give it all a mix.
- Add in the salt and stir to incorporate it together.
- Place in the resort of the ingredients and let it sauté for 1 minute.
- After the minute is up, place the lid on and pressure cook for a further 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, release the pressure slowly over 10 minutes.
- Plate up and a voilà! You have the perfect fluffy coconut rice to pair with almost any other food.
Cucumbers And Dill
This is an easy recipe to make, and although it looks basic, it is actually the perfect companion to other foods. The taste isn’t so overpowering that you don’t appreciate the dish’s star, but it also isn’t as bland as it seems at first glance. The cucumbers add juiciness and texture to proceedings, while the dill and other ingredients provide the kick needed to push this recipe into excellent side dish territory. Best served with grilled meat and as a coleslaw alternative.
- 2 x medium and sliced cucumbers
- 1 x tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 x cup of white vinegar
- 1/4 x cup fresh dill (cut small enough to sprinkle)
- 3 x tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 x tsp ground pepper
- Combine cucumber slices and salt in a colander over a plate and toss to combine.
- Set aside for 15 minutes, but ensure to stir at least once.
- Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- The vinegar, sugar, dill, and pepper go into a large bowl.
- Then, add the cucumbers and toss to coat with the juices.
- Before serving, place the covered container in the refrigerator for at least 20-30 minutes.
Salad Of Green Beans, Figs, And Feta
The recipe for a green bean salad is an excellent example of a quick and easy dish to make. It only takes a few ingredients and little time to put together. Whether you’re in the mood for something light or want to wow your guests, this side dish offers plenty of flavors.
- 1 lb x trimmed and washed green beans
- 4 x sliced dried figs
- 1/2 x bunch mint
- 4 oz x feta cheese
- 2 x tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 x shallot
- 1/4 x cup white wine
- 1/4 x cup apple cider vinegar
- Put all dressing ingredients in a bowl and toss together, then place in the fridge.
- You should blanch the beans for 3 minutes in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Once cool, drain, place in ice water, drain again and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Slice your beans lengthways.
- Crumble the feta over the top and drizzle the dressing over everything.
Baked Mushrooms And Parmesan
Mushrooms are the ingredient that can go with almost anything. They are delicious and full of nutrients. This recipe is fiendishly easy to make, and all you need apart from the general pantry essentials is the mushrooms and a decent helping of parmesan cheese. While this dish goes well with most foods, it is best paired with some form of meat like steak or chicken.
- 1 1/2 x pounds of thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 x tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 x cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 x minced cloves of garlic
- 2 x teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 x cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lightly oiling it or spraying it with nonstick spray.
- Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet.
- Then, spread the rest of your ingredients evenly over the top.
- Using a gentle toss, combine everything.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, until the mushrooms, are golden and tender, tossing occasionally.
- Serve piping hot next to your main dish.
Vegetable Kebab Skewers
A vegetable kebab is a dish made from vegetables, usually grilled, and it is a popular dish in many countries, including the Middle East, Russia, and Turkey. The concept of this dish was popularized by Middle Eastern chefs who wanted to create an appetizer with all the vegetables that they could grill. This dish is loaded with flavors, herbs, and spices that you can share with family members or friends as a side or main meal.
- 2 x cups mushrooms of your choice
- 1 x cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 x red bell pepper
- 1 x green bell pepper
- 1 x red onion
- 1 x thickly sliced zucchini
- 1 x thickly sliced yellow zucchini
(you can BBQ instead of oven bake to get a smoky flavor):
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Skewer mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and zucchini in a consistent manner.
- On a baking sheet, arrange the skewers.
- Brush the skewers with olive oil and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Plate up and serve up.
These recipes are a great way to add a little extra something to a meal. If you’re a picky eater, a side dish can add a lot of flavor without taking center stage. The best part is that they are both extraordinarily straightforward to make, and they go with almost anything.