August 25-27, Portland, Ore.
The 2011 Farwest Show takes place August 25-27 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland. With more than 720 exhibitors and 1,184 booth spaces, the annual Farwest Show in Portland, Ore. is your ticket to the nursery and retail garden center industry. The companion Farwest Show Seminars run Thursday-Saturday, in the same location.
Offered as part of Farwest’s seminar series, Dr. Jim Owen, of Oregon State University’s North Willamette Research and Extension Center (NWREC), will present a new aerial platform for crop management, wireless networking to monitor irrigation, the benefits of an iPad-based wireless farm and a new “smart sprayer” that reduces pesticide use, among others. NWREC is a stop on the Farwest Show’s Innovative Ideas Tour, August 23, where the new technology will be demonstrated.
- 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursdayand Friday
- 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday
Visit these folks at the show!
|Growing Systems, Inc.||Booth 15150, 15152|
|Haygrove Tunnels||Booth 3058|
|Natural Industries||Booth 14173, 14175
Poly-Tex, Inc. Booth 11140, 11142
To complement the Oregon Association of Nurseries’ sustainability initiatives and partnerships, the Farwest Show will debut a Sustainability Resource Center to provide hands-on resource information and assistance from a variety of organizations. Energy and resource reduction practices lead to operational efficiencies and market advantages, and this center is designed to provide easy access to programs, resources and expertise for growers and garden centers.
Featuring vendors selling specialty retail products and gift lines, the Garden Center Pavilion is a destination just for retail garden center buyers. The pavilion also offers short workshops for attendees to take away merchandising tips and more.
2011 workshops and speakers include Thriver or Survivor? with Ian Baldwin – Friday, 3:15 p.m.; Visual Merchandising Techniques for Your Gift Shop Displays with Linda Cahan, retail design consultant, Cahan & Co. – Thursday, 12:45 p.m. and 3:15 p.m., Friday, 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., and Saturday, 12:45 p.m.; Helping Wild Bird Products Sales Soar with “Bird Man” Mel Toellner, owner, Gold Crest Distributing – Thursday, 4:30 p.m., and Saturday, 2:45 p.m.; and Minimum Space for Maximum Sales with Martha Evans, marketing director, Jeremie Corp. – Friday, 12:45 p.m.
Also for the retailer: Private consultation with Linda Cahan – A limited number of 45-minute special rate private consultations on design and visual merchandising for your store. To make an appointment, call the Oregon Association of Nurseries at 503-682-5089.
The Farwest Show, now in its 39th consecutive year, is produced by the Oregon Association of Nurseries, which represents more than 1,300 growers, retailers, landscapers and suppliers and other industry professionals around the world.
For more information, visit www.farwestshow.com.
- New Varieties Showcase – New varieties can stimulate sales and excite everyone involved in growing, selling and buying plants.
- New Products Showcase – Find the newest non-plant products and services in the New Product Showcase at Farwest Show.
- Garden Center Pavilion – Garden centers will find it easier than ever to place orders for quality products and giftware items.
- Professional Development Seminars – Advance your career through skill development and networking at the 2011 Farwest Show Seminars.
- Farwest Show Tours – Grow your success and competitive advantage. Discover new varieties. Meet new growers and suppliers. Explore new ideas. And meet other wonderful people and leaders in our industry. These are just a few reasons to join one of the Farwest Show tours, Tuesday and Wednesday, August 23 and 24.