In order to ensure the health and beauty of our flora and to create an outside place we can be proud of, we are all working toward the same aims as gardeners. Watering is one chore we can’t escape, no matter how big your garden or what you are planting.
We all recall the era of the basic watering can. Circling back and forth between the garden and the faucet, maybe spilling a few times. Even conventional hoses can be frustrating and difficult to use since they frequently tangle and kink when you drag them across the yard or try to pack them neatly away at night.
You’re considering switching from a standard garden hose to a retractable hose reel, but you’re still determining its advantages and how it works. Don’t worry! Continue reading to learn more about the functioning of a hose reel and how it might simplify watering for you.
What is a Hose Reel?
Hose reels are an excellent method to keep your garden hose organized and out of the way. They are primarily used to keep your yard hoses off the ground when not in use, preventing them from becoming tangled and dirty. A hose reel is a sturdy, cylindrical device used to keep a garden hose when it is not in use.
It provides quick access to the garden hose when needed and, on the other hand, has hose holder functionality. You can simply store and transport the hose by winding it around the reel when using a water hose reel. And it’s easy to get to when you need to use the outdoor hose. Simply uncoil it from the hose reel and move it to the desired location.
Types of Hose Reel
1. Self-Standing Reels
Self-standing reels are portable and rest on the ground. Also, they offer more storage rooms than wall-mounted ones. These hose reels are typically easier to store and less expensive than other models.
2. Spring-Driven Hose Reels
One of the most practical types is the spring-driven hose reel. When there is no tension in the garden hose, an internal spring mechanism automatically rewinds the hose onto the reel. With shorter hoses, this style of garden hose reel is quite helpful.
3. Hand Crank Hose Reels
The hand-crank variety of hose reels is one of the most popular sorts. Retracting the hose with this kind of water hose reel involves manual effort. They are ideal for short and medium-length hoses.
4. Motor Driven Hose Reels
The ability to manage motor-driven hose reels remotely, which results in simple user action, is another reason they are growing in popularity. Although the motors often don’t need much power, remember that a power source adjacent to the hose reel is required. For medium- and long-length outdoor hoses, these hose reels are perfect.
Is Hose Reel Useful?
After going over a hose reel’s function, let’s examine some advantages of using one:
- Productivity Gain: Fluids may be dispensed quickly and easily thanks to the hose reel’s convenient location.
- Reduces Wear: Rubber is often used to make fluid hoses, which eventually deteriorate. Letting machinery or vehicles roll over the hose will damage and hasten its wear. Using a hose reel significantly extends the life of the hose and lowers the cost of needing to replace it too soon.
- Safety: After usage, the hose is rolled up and stowed out of the way to eliminate any hazards that could result in serious accidents.
- Efficiency: It makes handling and storing the hose and fluids easier.
- Time-Saving: Another benefit of having any hose reel on hand is the ability to save time. There is no longer a need to drag the hose through the garden. The garden hose can be rapidly rewound from the reel so you can immediately start watering.
- Clean and Organized Backyard: Employing a hose reel will keep your outdoor area tidy and well-kept. We know how unsightly garden hoses laid out throughout the garden or left on the ground look. Since you can keep your water hoses conveniently wound up into hose reels, this is no longer the case.
How Does A Retractable Hose Reel Work?
Check to see if installation is required when buying a garden hose reel. If any assembly, whether slight or extensive, is required, proceed as directed by the manufacturer’s instructions in the hose cart packaging. It’s time to join your garden hose to the hose cart once you’ve finished this step.
When purchased, two sets of hose connectors should typically be provided with a hose reel. With the leader hose, also known as the feeder hose, occasionally, only one set of couplings is required. The hose reel is joined to the water supply via this shorter hose. Your regular garden hose will be connected to the hose reel using the second set of connectors.
Two sets of connectors are used for the leader hose’s two ends to connect the leader hose to the outdoor spigot or water supply on one end and the hose reel external water connector on the other. The second set of connectors is attached to the garden hose’s two ends so that it can be connected to the hose sprayer and the inner water connector of the hose reel, respectively, on each end.
Hose reels are an investment we can have to maintain our gardens beautiful. It is also helpful as it is efficient, saves time, and is safe. There are different types of hose reels available on the market today, and it is up to you to choose which one best fits your needs. If you wish for a product that can be easily mounted on walls, choose one with wheels; if it is used in a wet area all year round, look for one that is made from rust-proof materials. When shopping for a hose reel, pay attention to its functionality and construction. Choose the one that is easy to use and can withstand the elements.