People in ancient times did not have chemically prepared medicines. They were dependent on herbs, effective in most situations. The world is returning to what it ignored for several years.
You can try these herbs and see their incredible benefits yourself.
Herbs for Health
Here is a list of herbs to maintain your health and fitness.
1. Tea Tree
Melaleuca Alternifolia, popularly known as the tea tree, is a plant mainly found in Australia. A list of facts to know about this herb are:
- The plant is the source of Tea tree oil extracted from its leaves. The oil is known for its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects. It is one of the most extensively studied botanicals that gives promising results for acne vulgaris.
- For a long time, Aborigines used the oil from the plant as traditional medicine. At that time, people crushed their leaves to obtain the oil. Then they either apply it to the skin for healing or inhale it to cure cough.
- A study shows that the topical application of 5% tea tree oil gave better results than 2% topical erythromycin, 5% benzoyl peroxide, and placebo. The former, after using it for 4-8 weeks, showed improvement in moderate to mild acne vulgaris. However, tea tree oil took comparatively more time in treating than others.
Today tea trees are present in various skincare products.
Mitragyna Speciosa is a popular herb known for its energy-boosting properties. Its common name is kratom. To include this herb in your daily diet you can check KonaKratom.
- Kratom is not a new plant. The people of Southeast Asia have been using it for centuries. Although, in the past decades, it has gained fame in western countries.
- People’s love for the plant is clear from almost 200 messages David Kroll, a pharmacologist in Denver, received after hints from the DEA to ban the kratom products in the US. Here is one such message from a mother that Kroll published in his work on the official site of Forbes.
- “I’m a 43 year old, upper middle class, stay at home mother and wife. I first started utilizing Kratom in February of 2015. Since my daughter was born, I’ve had a lot of lower back issues. Because of my size, very petite, my back bone and pelvis done began to separate. It’s very painful. Of corse I was given opiate drugs for my pain. At first they worked then they didn’t. The pain pills made me feel horrible. I didn’t want to get of the couch most days. Long story short, I found Kratom. My life has drastically change for the better! I’m now able to enjoy my life, my daughter, my husband!! I don’t feel drugged, I feel well enough to drive with my daughter in the car and go about life as it should be! I’m now active with my daughters school and loving my life! I’m petrified what will happen to me if Kratom is banned. I’m scared I’ll lose my marriage and my wonderful, active life with my daughter.”
- People are afraid that the ban on kratom would take their happiness away.
Kratom offers a wide range of benefits, such as increased alertness, elevated energy, calmness, good social life, soothing sleep, etc. A survey organized in 2017 shows that kratom may reduce pain and provide relief from the symptoms of anxiety, depression, and mood disorders.
Hydrastis Canadensis is the scientific name of Goldenseal. It is a perennial plant found in various places in North America.
- Traditionally the roots and leaves of this herb have been blended with various ailments, particularly the ones for treatment of issues related to inflammation and infection. Today the herb is one of the most popular herbal remedies.
- Today the Capsules, herbal extracts, and teas from the plant show effectiveness in several health problems, such as hay fever, sore gums, digestive problems, cold, and skin problems.
- Besides, the herb is also a part of several remedies, such as feminine hygiene products, ear drops, flu, and cold remedies, digestive aids, eyewash formulations, laxatives, and allergy relief products.
- People combine Echinacea, another popular herb from North America combined with Goldenseal to give a product that is effective in treating different types of allergy, such as the common cold.
There is evidence where Goldenseal was effective in removing drugs from the body faster than urine. Thus, people believe that it might help to pass drug tests by removing the use of illegal drugs.
Parsley is a part of the kitchen in European, American, and Middle Eastern households.
- Most people use parsley to add flavor in soups, fish recipes, and salads. However, the plant has more to offer. It is highly nutritious and offers various health benefits.
- Parsley contains vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin k. Besides, it also contains calories but in very low amounts.
- Vitamin A plays a significant role in promoting immunity and eye health. It also benefits skin-related issues, such as acne. Vitamin K supports heart health and bone.
Parsley offers various other pros, such as healthy blood sugar levels, aid kidney health, boost immunity, and promote heart health. You can readily add it to your diet.
Since ancient times, Valeriana officinalis have been used to promote sleep and increase tranquility.
- Valerian is a native of Europe and Asia but now it is a popular herb in the United States. Although the herb receives love, attention, and positive feedback from people, its effectiveness is often controversial.
- For at least 2000 years, the roots of valerian have been used in traditional remedies. Besides, its flower is an ingredient in various perfumes. The origin of the word Valerian is from a Latin word Valere, meaning “to be healthy” or “to be strong”. You can consume roots of this plant as tea, capsules, or in liquid form.
- Valerian roots include antioxidants, isovaleric acid, and Valerenic acid. Researchers believe that Valerenic acid interacts with GABA ( gamma-aminobutyric acid) in the brain and breaks it down. This gives the feeling of tranquility and calmness. Its way of working is similar to anti-anxiety medications like Xanax and Valium. The plant is also known as Nature’s Valium.
The antioxidants present in valerian roots, such as linarin and hesperidin are known for their sleep-promoting and sedative properties.
So, this was the list of some herbs that support health and fitness.
Herbs are a part of traditional medicines. With people focusing more on their mental and physical growth, the use of herbs has increased. You can also incorporate them into your life and get a healthy lifestyle.