Have you ever tried using sandpaper by hand? It’s something that can quickly turn into an annoyance, leaving your hands tired and wishing that there was a way to do it all automatically. Orbital sanders allow you to smooth down wooden surfaces quickly, all without the burden of getting your arms tired from moving back and forth for long stretches of time.
Their durability is strong and contains bags that trap excess sawdust inside. The result is clean woodworking that’s easy to clean up after you’re done. Below are reviews of five orbital sanders, of which are effective at refining woodworking projects of all kinds.
After that, don’t forget to go over the Buyer’s Guide that’ll assist you getting the product that’s catered to your specific needs. Then look at the Conclusion to see which of those come with the highest recommendations.
What is the Best Random Orbital Sander for Woodworking in 2021?
This basic comparison list shows the specifications of each product’s OPM, size, and power. If there’s anything more specific that you need to know, just refer to the links shown next to each product’s name.
1. Makita BO5041K – Best Random Orbital Sander for Woodworking (Editor’s Choice)
The Makita BO5041K was designed with comfort in mind. It houses two handles that will help you increase your grip for the entirety that it’s used.
The dust collector is also built well and blocks all sawdust from leaking as you work.
It also has a nice on/off switch, of which will lock up the sander quickly if needed.
This is a variable speed sander, which means that the OPM isn’t fixed.
You can dial it down to a slow pace or crack up the power to a cap of 12,000 oscillations per minute.
Overall, this sander is one of the best that you’ll find anywhere, and is recommended for nearly any type of sanding.
2. Bosch ROS20VSC – Best Orbital Sander for Dust Collection (People’s Choice)
The Bosch ROS20VSC is the second best buy featured, a silent sander. It’s very quiet and won’t alert your entire neighborhood to your woodworking activities.
Looking further into this, the root to its low volume is less vibration. And the less a sander shake, the easier it will be for you to handle without needing to take breaks.
The build is well crafted and should last for years without needing a replacement.
And for those who are worried about dust collection, no irritating leaks will happen fast during your sanding.
You may experience a little bit of sawdust escaping in between the o-ring at times though. And don’t forget to empty out the bag as you go to avoid it clogging up when you’re working.
Truth be told, there’s not much to criticize about the ROS20VSC. It’s equally as impressive as the Makita brand and should rank high on anyone’s list of orbital sanders that deserve a future purchase.
3. BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 – Best Orbital Sander for Handling (Best Price)
The Black and Decker BDERO100 is an orange sander and, unlike the product that was reviewed first, contains only one grip.
But don’t take that as a put down; it’s still a powerhouse that’s a breeze to control and use. The size is small but durable, making it easy to grasp in a way that will not tire your arms out.
You can even sand away those tight corners that would otherwise require a manual scrub down.
Furthermore, the discs you place on the rotator should last you for a surprisingly long time without losing abrasion, even after a full day of work with the same paper.
If you’re searching for an orbital sander that’s lightweight and remains cool to the touch after strenuous use, then this Black and Decker is definitely a worthy pick.
4. DEWALT DWE6423K – Best Orbital Sander for Durability
Dewalt is famous for its power tools, and the DWE6423K doesn’t fail to impress.
It takes away the burdens that are often problems found on other orbital sanders, such as vibration.
While it does produce some movement when turned on, it stays low enough to the point where you’ll likely forget about it.
It’s a well-built tool and can handle the roughest of environments without breaking easily.
That doesn’t mean that you should be too rough on it though.
Issues could arise if you’re looking at getting an external vacuum, as the o-ring is very short and not compatible with many models.
Other than that, most of the other issues are minor, so look into the DWE6423K when you need durability over everything else.
5. SKIL SR211601 – Best Variable Speed Orbital Sander
The last product is the Skil SR211601, another wired sander with variable control for its speed. It’s another Orbital that puts the emphasis of comfortability.
Volume output stays low and is much quieter than many of its competitors. The speed can quickly change from a crawl to lightning fast and has a great OPM of over 13,000.
Because of its high rotation, heavy-duty jobs will be particularly easy to work on with this sander. But you might want to acquire a vacuum with it, as the collector included may leak out of the bag, which is somewhat wide.
And if no leaks occur, it’s possible that you may end up spilling it from simply brushing up against its exterior during operation. Regardless, the SR211601 could be the right sanding tool for you if in need of woodworking that won’t cut it at anything less than 12,000 OPM.
How to Choose Random Orbital Sander for Woodworking – Buyer’s Guide
As you know, getting a new Orbital Sander isn’t as easy as looking for sandpaper that you would use manually. While the product is often identical is shape and size, their features are differed vastly when examined further.
And because minor contrasts can greatly determine whether you’ll have a machine that will be enjoyed or not, it’s important that you know what you’re getting before finalizing a checkout.
This Buyer’s Guide will help you confidently pick the orbital that contains all the attributes you want to make your woodworking easier.
Orbital Sanders utilize dust collectors to hold sawdust when the machines are in operation.
The mechanism is very similar to a vacuum, whereby the particles are sucked into a small case that’s usually located to the rear of the rotator. It attaches to an o-ring that prevents anything from seeping out in between the transfer.
Problems may arise when too much sawdust collects inside, resulting in spillage (by the o-ring) that is difficult to clean. If your sander has this problem, you could purchase a bag device that pushes the debris into a container that has more room.
And there’s also hoses, which takes away the hassle of having to frequently empty out the smaller adapters.
If you think that the collectors included with the products above are too tiny for a future sanding project, consider getting something bigger. If not, then there shouldn’t be too much issue with what’s available.
It is important that the power tools that you use be as easy to handle as possible. Even the best performing or orbital sander with great Amps can leave you needed to take frequent breaks from feeling fatigued.
Today’s sanders will incorporate either one or two grips.
If you’ve never used one before, you should consider those with two, as it’s less likely to make mistake since your grasp with remain firm no matter how tired your hands become. While one grip should be enough for most people, having an extra hand would be well-served in situations where the orbital will be put to lots of work.
Carpenters or anyone expecting to use it on a daily basis will be pleased to have more sway in its hold. But truthfully, this doesn’t make or break most of the products and much of this is dependent on what you personally want.
Orbital sanders, like many power tools, rely on electricity to function. That means the machines will generate movement as they are in motion.
Because of this, vibration develops that can potentially become an annoyance. Most of the products shown above will minimize the effect. Still, some shaking will remain regardless.
However, it’s not always easy to tell which will vibrate less than another, but higher quality machines tend to have fewer jitters than those of a poorer standard. Not only that, but the sound produced may also have a high volume that can be easily heard from another room.
Of course, this isn’t always the case but is more common in cheaper brands. And just because the orbital has a high OPM doesn’t necessarily mean that reverberations won’t be of concern.
If you’re looking for an orbital sander that operates with a wired electrical adapter, pay attention the product’s description to see whether or not the cord is long enough for you to use without relying on an extension cord.
Many brands have cord lengths that are very short and must be attached to an external appliance that enables it to be used from a long distance. The average is around five feet but some are even shorter.
Regardless, it’s still a good idea to have an extension around just in case you find yourself in a circumstance that requires you to work in an area that doesn’t have any nearby outlets.
Most people will be okay with this (assuming that there’s a cord stashed in your garage at the moment) but don’t forget to gauge the extent of the wire to be certain.
Variable speed controls allow the operator better freedom in how much power they want the orbital sander to use when in contact with a wooden surface. Speed on models with this feature can range from very slow to over 11,000 oscillations every minute (OPM).
Yet not everyone needs to work at a slow pace but can be useful in sanding areas that don’t need to be completely smooth. Variable speed can also act as a feature to aid in better overall control.
Surprisingly, having a better command over the spinning may allow the disc grit to stay on for a longer time period without needing a switch. This is due to less overkill from sanding areas that are already smooth to the touch.
How Long the Grit Lasts
Speaking of grit, the discs that attach to an orbital sander can either last for extended intervals or become useless very quickly. Another feature that could extend the time you’ll need for a replacement is Velcro.
It sticks to the opposite end up the disc and prevents it from moving awkwardly while sanding, which in turn could allow it’s abrasiveness to last longer. Of course, you’ll have to get more at some point. Remember to acquire lots of discs if you’re planning on sanding large pieces with lots of corners and crevices.
Some brands will have a few included with the machine itself, along with tool bag. The point is that you want to be prepared prior to the sanding arriving at your door, so don’t overlook any accessories while you’re checking out how good the brand stacks up in features.
There’s a good chance that you’ll be using the orbital sander for jobs that warrant it to have a heavy duty build quality. Those shown above are made from hard, thick casings; materials that won’t wear it down are lead to dents and scratches in the surface.
These aren’t sensitive tools and will operate flawlessly even in the event of an accidental drop on occasion. While you should still want to avoid doing this, it’s safe to say that no damages will happen from a small fall.
Depending on your grip, the handles may wear away on some models but isn’t something that’ll materialize unless you’re storing it in a bad location.
Always place your orbital sander in a cool, dry place when you’re not using it so it stays in a new condition long after it’s bought.
It’s hopeful that you have a good idea on which orbital sander you want to send to your home. But if not, there are some on the list that is highly recommended. The Makita BO5041K and Bosch ROS20VSC two of the best in terms of speed settings and ease of control.
However, this isn’t an insinuation that the others are poor in performance. In fact, they may offer something in their attributes that would be better for your woodworking than what’s suggested.
Whichever sander you buy, it’s a given that your purchase will be well-served and produce the results that you expect from automatic sanding. These are the best that you’ll find anywhere and will make your wood appliances in stellar shape!
- 6 Variable Speed: 6 adjustable speed dial supports you to monitor the exact right speed according to different work, 3.0A (350W) /6000-13000 OPM motor offers strong power.
- 12Pcs Sandpapers: It comes with 12 five-inch pieces of hook and loop sanding paper, six each in two grits, 80 and 180. The sandpaper specification is 8 holes 5 inches.
- Dust Collection: The dust box that captures the wood dust worked well to reduce the amount of dust flying around everywhere, it can remove a lot of dust during operation, Maintain a relatively clean...
- Comfortable Design: Rubberized palm grip designed to absorb vibration can maximize comfort. Precision engineered all-ball bearing construction for reduced vibration and noise.
- Sanders for Woodworking: This sander machine is suitable for dry sanding of woodworking items, such as tables, cabinets, wooden cabinet doors, and outdoor patio furniture, etc.
- ▶【360°Rotating Base Plate & 6 Adjustable Speeds 】Dual-Action Random 360°Rotating Sanding Base Plate, it can rotate and vibrate. Ensures that the sanding surface is natural without traces and...
- ▶【18Pcs Sandpapers】Supplied Sanding Discs 5-inch 18Pcs(3pcs 60 grits,3pcs 80 grits, 3pcs 120 grits,3pcs 180 grits,3pcs 240 grits,3pcs 320 grits), 6 different grains from coarse to fine. Choose...
- ▶ 【High Dust Collection Efficiency】This electric sander has 8 vacuum holes; The dust bag has higher dust collection efficiency than the dust box; Dust bag has air permeability,It can prevent...
- ▶【Rubberized & Ergonomical】The sander machine is small in size, light in weight; it is wrapped in soft rubber to reduce vibration and improve comfort; handheld design, easy to operate with one...
- ▶【Powerful Operating System & Notice】 Its premium pure copper motor works up to 13000 rpm. The maximum power can reach to 2.5Amp. Good heat resistance and good cooling system prevent burn-in due...
- Orbital sander with brushless motor provides runtime and efficiency to get the job done
- Variable-speed control of the hand sander from 8,000 to 12,000 OPM to match the speed to the application.
- Low-profile height of the power sander allows user to get close to work surface for precise sanding.
- Replaceable 8-hole hook-and-loop sanding pad (DWE64233) for quick, easy paper changing.
- Dust-sealed switch to protect against dust ingestion for long switch life.Texturized rubber overmold grip for comfortable sanding.One-handed locking dust bag..Dust port is designed to fit directly to...
- Double Life: The life of the sander is determined by the carbon brushes. The carbon brushes of Jellas orbit sander adopts new crafts, lengthen the life of the sander machine which is twice that of...
- Variable Speed Control Dial: 6 Adjustable speeds (6000-13000RPM), among them 1-3 for polishing , 4-6 for rough grinding ; 450W(3.8 Amp) motor sander can easily sand wood, metal, plastic, rubber and...
- Dual Action: Sanding projects should be more labor-saving, and due to the eccentric vibration, the texture of the wood itself can be retained to the greatest extent after sanding
- User-friendly Design: Ergonomic rubberized palm grip and 2 handles for improving operator comfort and controlling sanding works. The front handle can be adjusted which allows for sanding in corners...
- 70% Dust Collection Efficiency: Similar products use a dust box with a dust collection efficiency of 30%, but Jellas can reach to 70%. And Jellas electric sander is committed to creating a healthier...
- 12,000 OPM for professional material removal of the orbital sander
- Detachable dust bag of hand sander is designed for efficient dust collection
- Vacuum port of power sander hooks up to a 1 1/4-inch hose for more efficient dust removal
- Low profile for control when sanding
- Dust proof switch for professional durability
- [HIGH PERFORMANCE]: The Meterk random orbit sander has a 2.5-amp motor spinning the pad from 6000 to 13000 OPM. The orbital sander is with the design of 6 variable speeds to fulfill multiple personal...
- [VALUABLE ACCESSORIES]: The Meterk random orbit sander has a set of versatile and valuable accessories for wide ranges of applications, including sandpapers x 20 (60 grit x 4, 80 grit x 4, 120 grit x...
- [ERGONOMIC DESIGN]: The important areas of the Meterk hand sander are rubberized to ensure sander is easy to grip and to be held tightly. The lightweight and compact design of the orbital sander makes...
- [IMPROVED DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM]: The dust collection system of Meterk random-orbit sander is well improved by our professional engineering team for efficient dust collection. The orbital sander is...
- [WHAT YOU GET]: Random orbit sander x 1, Sandpapers x 20 (60 grit x 4, 80 grit x 4, 120 grit x 4, 180 grit x 4, 220 grit x 4), Sponge disc x 1, Wool disc x 1, Cotton disc x 1, Dust collector x 1,...