Hedge trimmers become more advanced with each passing year. There are both cordless and battery-operated tools sold to consumers, with the wireless types being some of the most popular.
No cord means less time tinkering with wires that seem to get in your way when you’re trimming difficult areas of a hedge.
And since they utilize batteries, you can prepare them overnight and have enough charge to get through a full day’s work without losing power.
What is the Best Battery Operated Hedge Trimmer in 2021?
Such trimmers can also be used with more batteries by the same company, so more can be acquired when needed. Reviewed below are five of the best battery hedge trimmers sold anywhere, featuring great handling and construction that’s built to last long after the purchasing date.
And don’t forget to go through the Buyer’s Guide for specific tips that will aid you in picking the trimmer that’s specific to your needs. The top two picks are announced in the conclusion.
1. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 – Best Battery Hedge Trimmer (Editor’s Choice)
Surprisingly, is very light in weight, having a total of only 6.9 pounds. You can get it in those hard to reach areas on top without moving positions too often.When you need something that will get through thick hedges that have been neglected, the Black and Decker LHT2436 should be at the top of your list for tools to assess.
The battery is 40 volts, which means there’s plenty of power to cut for hours without stressing over whether or not you’ll need to break for a recharge.
In fact, no need to worry about annoying the neighbors.
This tool generates a low hum that keeps the noise level down and is barely audible in areas where there’s lots of traffic.
The LHT2436 is recommended for people that want to power of gas and wired trimmers but not the messy cleanup and long cords associated with them.
2. DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer – Top Hedge Trimmer For Thick Hedges
The Dewalt DCHT820P1 has an exterior that’s identical to every other product from the company’s famed yellow designed.
But looks aren’t the only thing this tool has going for it. You get the battery with the trimmer, so you won’t have to go out looking for one. Everything’s ready to go as soon as you open the box; there’s no assembly required.
It’s the perfect tool to have around if your yard is big. In fact, you should be able to get through at least an acre (or more, in some cases) with one full battery. You won’t need to recharge in between your work.
If you’re looking for one of the best in terms of durability and strength, the DCHT820P1 would be a beneficial trimmer to add with your other landscaping tools.
3. Makita XHU02Z 18V LXT – Best Rated Battery Operated Hedge Trimmer
The battery is specified at 1.5AH, which isn’t as powerful as the first two but good for the type of work that isn’t best for. You won’t want to cut very thick hedges with this though, so consider one of the others if you know that your trimming requires something stronger.
The Makita XHU02Z is an 18-volt trimmer manufactured in Japan. The build quality is excellent, providing stellar handling for light to medium duty tasks on your lawn.
Still, the teeth will prevent fast jams from happening in the places where a trimmer with comparable size and body would have trouble, making it suitable for households that don’t have a large hedge to cover.
This also gives a great advantage to beginners that only want to spruce their hedge up but don’t necessarily need heavy duty tools to work with.
4. Greenworks 22232 22-Inch 24V Cordless Hedge Trimmer – Top Hedge Trimmer For Handling
The 22232 is not an exception. The grips are fully adjustable, which means that you can turn it to suit your height better. In this regard, it’s a good trimmer for people that are either very tall or short. Greenworks provides lots of powerful lawn care tools that are built to give the user maximum comfort when in the process of completing yard work.
Having a better grasp when your trimming equates to hedges that are lined better, resulting in a more picturesque yard that won’t need additional work with sears.
But you’ll want to be careful how you handle it. The build is pretty cheap and can be damaged easily.
The thin plastic exterior will break in you’re not careful, and storage should also be done in a place where it won’t risk falling down.
If you don’t mind these issues, then try out the 22232 for its superior handling capabilities.
Read Also: Best Corded Electric String Trimmer
5. Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable 2-in-1 Shrub Shear and Hedge Trimmer Combo – Best Battery Operated Hedge Trimmer
You can switch between the two tools quickly with the switches (they come off), and the device can be operated effortlessly. The Earthwise Cordless Rechargeable Shrub Shear and Hedge Trimmer are just what the product’s title says: both a trimmer and detailer.
Even if you own a decent hedge trimmer already (or plan to buy one of the others featured in the reviews), it could help with problematic areas around your hedge that the larger products cannot reach.
You could even use it for other jobs, such as edging your lawn or cutting weeds. While it’s certainly not a heavy duty tool, the small dimensions make it a worthwhile trimmer/shear for anyone that’s attentive to detail.
How to Choose a Battery Hedge Trimmer – Buyer’s Guide
Trimming hedge can be a frustrating job, depending on the tool you’re using to do it with.
Anything that’s capable of cutting down the time it takes to get it completely is always a plus. But no two battery-operated trimmers are the same, and some can be vastly different than others.
You may already be familiar with some of the aspects to look for when shopping for one, but the basics must be noted due to the variety and sizes of those reviewed in the section above.
As such, use this guide to help you refine your choice. That way, dissatisfaction, and returns won’t be likely to happen.
Know your Hedges
If you will be using one of the trimmers reviewed to work on your own landscaping, you should go over your bushes. Hedge thickness, density, and length can be used to determine which hedge trimmer will work out best for you. Some of them are specifically for light to moderate jobs, and not suitable for thick vegetation.
For example, if you were to buy a trimmer that’s built to handle only thin hedges, the teeth along the blades could become jammed whenever you do any cutting. Jamming could lead to the product to overheat quickly, and malfunction may happen unless the device is given time to cool off.
But your front lawn might require something that’s very durable and will slice through whatever you need it to, regardless of thickness. In this instance, you’ll want to look for a trimmer that has a powerful battery.
Batteries are the most important part of a wireless hedge trimmer. In the past, it could be difficult to find one that contained the same amount of power and wires or gas trimmers. But not anymore. Those shown in the list above are varied, with some being having as little as 3.5 volts or over 40 volts.
While not always the rule, the consensus is the battery with a higher voltage are more power behind their cuts. Additionally, charging time could also be a factor. Some of the stronger batteries could take anywhere from four to even eight hours to fill.
But when full, you won’t have to worry about a recharge for an entire day’s worth of trimming. And don’t forget, each product’s battery can only be used with other items from the same manufacturer.
So if you already own one from those listed (that has the same amount of voltage), you could use it alongside the newer battery. Still, it’s suggested to acquire a hedge trimmer with a new battery anyway, so as to avoid mishaps and compatibility issues.
If you’re new in using hedge trimmers, you might experience some fatigue, especially if you normally don’t take part in any yard work. You’ll definitely want something that provides the most comfortable grasp available.
While you should consider getting gloves to handle the job, trimmers with movable handles are a plus and can be altered to fit the user’s desired reach.
If you or the person who will be using the trimmers the most is short, this will be a huge benefit to them and result in perfect trims that aren’t irregular.
Fewer stop from feeling tired means a faster trimming job, so look into the product’s handling if you’ve had or anticipate having issues cutting your bushes with something that’s hard to hold.
Not every trimming job calls for large, bulky machines to do particular areas of your hedges.
Some places just can’t be reached with the big tools, and having a nicely lined hedge mixed that’s inundated with areas that were untouchable (with the blades) can make the entire landscaping job look slightly awkward.
Small trimmers that are compatible with other cutting tools would suffice in this situation.
You would be able to cut place you once thought impossible, and since shears or scissors are outfitted on some of the products made for such jobs, the hedge will be fine-tuned to the point of looking like a professional landscaper did it themselves. Take note: only use miniature trimmers if you don’t need something larger. If you do, you’ll want to skip this, as the tools won’t be able to reach the top of hedges.
As stated, your bushes’ thickness should play a big part in which hedge trimmer you should be looking for. While battery power and length were discussed, there’s also the task of identifying the vegetation. Older hedges tend to be on the thicker side and will require more powerful tools to get the excess stems cut.
No matter if you’re cutting blackberry or beech, examine the stems carefully, paying attention to how big they are and whether or not the woody portions are more prominent than the leaves that cover them.
If they are thin, then a light or moderate trimmer will suffice. But for those with bigger shrubs or older yards that haven’t been cuts in a long time, trimmers with broad teeth and fast action will help in getting even cuts that are straight.
Wired Trimmers versus Battery
If you own a wired trimmer, one with a cord that must be plugged into an outlet to get it on, then you already know the nuisance that the cord itself can be when you’re actively in the process of trimming. Having to drag it everywhere you want to work gets old fast, and some areas might even be unreachable.
Such is likely to happen for those without enough extension cords to hook up with the device. And once you’re done, you have to go through the trouble of rolling everything backs up to avoid anything getting tangled for later trimming in the future. Battery operated hedge trimmers do away with these issues since all power comes from the portable battery itself.
All you must do is charge it sometime before your job begins, so as to ensure that you won’t run out of power as you’re trimming. The only downside is that some wireless trimmers are always the most battery efficient, so be sure to remember when you see one that’s listed as having a short battery life.
Like any mechanical device, nothing is perfect. The same can be said for wireless trimmers. For starters, construction is sometimes flimsy on many brands, although there are exceptions. You much handle them carefully, as the plastic pieces can be broken easily if dropped.
And some models are sold with blade guards, of which you must either buy them separately or have the manufacturer send it to you.
But one of the biggest issues if the way batteries depreciate overtimes, especially lithium-ion. While this won’t occur fast, one or two years of heavy use could see a battery’s power capacity drop to the point where it’s nearly impossible to use the hedge trimmers you bought alongside it.
The trimmer will probably outlast it. However, since most tools can be fitted with other batteries from the same brand and voltage, getting a replacement is easy to find online and in home improvement stores.
All of the hedge trimmers reviewed have their advantages and hiccups. But there were two that clearly stand out from the rest. If you want the best in terms is quality, durability, and battery life, make the Dewalt DCHT820P1 and Black & Decker LHT2436 the first two that you consider.
They excel in nearly every attribute that one looks for in a hedge trimmer, and have easy handling to boot. Due to the popularity of the brands, it’s likely that you may already own extra batteries to go along with the trimmer.
Still, you shouldn’t drop the others, particularly if you need something that’s better suited for circumstances that would make them equally or more useful than the first two chosen. Nevertheless, no matter which tool ends up at your front door, your yard’s hedges will be in tip-top shape in record time.
- Versatile Grass Shear& Hedge Trimmer: Making your backyard hedging simple and strain-free, for small gardens also, hedge grooming and areas your mower cannot reach giving. The hedge trim blades fit...
- 2 Blades in 1 Handel: Converting from Grass Shear to Hedge Trimmer quickly and easily, replaceable blades no tools required. Grass Shear Blade has 4 inch cutting wide, Hedge Trimmer Blade has 8 inch...
- Lightweight & 180°Swivel Handle: Approx 2 lbs lightweight, swivel handle conveniently to help you adjusted the right positions(-90°、0°、90°、) you need. Comfortable ergonomic Handle can be...
- Safe Lock & Easy Control: Safe Lock for preventing from accident switch on. Press the lock button and then press the switch button to make the Hedge Trimmer working. Perfect for post-mowing touch ups...
- Long Life Removable Power Battery: Rechargeable,7.2V lithium-ion battery for Cordless operated. hassle-free, removable battery for easy charging, battery charger included. Full charge approx 3-5...
- Powerful 20-volt hedge trimmer with battery and fast charger; Superb run-time, reliability, and durability
- 20" outdoor hedge trimmer with dual-action hardened steel blades for a quick and clean cut at 3000 strokes per minute with 2-speed functions; Cut and trim branches up to 5/8" diameter
- Cordless hedge trimmer with a comfortable rear molded handle and wrap-around grip for better control, maneuverability, and precision
- Power trimmer that includes a protective blade cover for safe and easy storage
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM cordless hedge trimmer that can use any 20-volt 2.0Ah Earthwise lithium-ion battery; Warranty coverage of 2 years for the power tool and 1 years for the battery pack
- [3 POWERFUL TOOLS] Bundled together at a very nice price. A 2-in-1 grass trimmer/edger, a long hedge trimmer for flat tops, and a powerful TURBINE blower
- [TRIMMER & EDGER IN ONE] Converts from a string trimmer into a wheeled edger and back again in just seconds. Save your money and don’t buy separate trimmers and edgers
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [STRING ON-DEMAND] With Command Feed, you just push the button when you need more line. Plus, with this model, you get free spools for life!
- [22” HEDGE TRIMMER] Long enough for smooth trimming, but not so long that it’s hard to use. We think 22” is the perfect length for regular hedge maintenance
- Dual-Action Blade Much More Durable for Cutting; with durable Mn65 metal, this electric hedge trimmer cordless is much easier to use, improving your user experience than ever before; its upgraded 22"...
- Double Lock and Protection Guard Ensure Your Safety; since garden tools with blades will bring more serious trouble than others especially when their safety performance is not good enough, these...
- 20V 2.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery for Longer Lasting Time; with the strong 20V 2.0Ah Lithium-Ion battery, you will no matter be worried about the length of your cord; this battery-operated hedge trimmer...
- Ergonomic Design Lets Everyone Comfortably Trim; a heavy garden tool is always hard to control and easy to cause accidents; but this lightweight hedge trimmer weight only 4.74 pounds, easily lifted by...
- Multiple Using Ways Make Your Yard Tidier; the outdoor hedge trimmer equipped with dual-action blades active the trimming possibility into the higher level; you can use it to clean everywhere of your...
- GO GREEN WITH ELECTRIC PLATFORM: The cordless hedge trimmer equipped with a powerful 20V DC motor and no load speed at 2400rpm. The electric cordless trimmer is a lot quieter and avoid ordorness smell...
- DUAL-ACTION WITH EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE: The PowerSmart dual-action trimmers significantly cut down the amount of time necessary to trim hedge with cutting efficiency and reduce the vibration to avoid...
- D-GRIP HANDLE WITH ERGONOMIC IDEA: The cordless hedge trimmer designed with ergonomic handle with D-shaped allow you to operate the trimmer easily either small or tall hedges. This bush trimmer build...
- SAFETY SWITCH WITH HAND GUARD: The electric hedge trimmer has to be operate when press the start button and the trigger switch at the same time. And the trimmer comes with a hand guard that prevents...
- CUSTOMER SATISFICATION: PowerSmart is always aiming on providing great consumers value with the absolute best price and quality entire line of products. All of our products qualify for a 2 years...
- 24 in. dual-action, hardened steel reciprocating blades
- 3/4 in. cut capacity
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- Weather-resistant construction
- Electronic brake stops blade action quickly for improved control