We are all still practicing social distancing measures due to the global outbreak of the Coronavirus, which is one of the reasons people are taking on new hobbies. But, if you are interested in learning more about wildlife and animals, you might have started thinking about taking up bird watching.
No matter if you live in a rural or urban area, you’ll be able to find birds, especially in your own backyard. However, you might be wondering – what will I need to do and what equipment will I need in order to start this new hobby? Well, luckily for you, this is exactly what we’ll discuss in this article today. Let’s take a closer look at some tips that’ll allow you to start this new hobby:
Step 01: Gather The Essentials
Of course, you can use your eyes for this particular hobby, however, if you purchase a pair of binoculars and guide books, you’ll enjoy your new hobby so much more. Now, when it comes to the binoculars you should purchase, remember that all of them have different features. And, if you are planning on investing in them, ensure that they are waterproof, durable, and more importantly light.
There is a wide range of guides that you can purchase in the form of cards, books, and apps, however, there are also websites such as wildbirdworld.com that provide useful guides. Hence, you can choose an option that works best for your needs and requirements.
Step 02: You’ll Need Equipment For Attracting Them
We mentioned earlier that you’ll be able to find these animals everywhere, however, there are some things that you can do and purchase in order to attract them to your backyard. Some of the things you might want to consider purchasing include:
The very first thing that you’ll need is a feeder. Now, there are several options that you can choose from including tube, platform, and suet feeders. Platform feeders are simple and easy to maintain, however, other animals such as squirrels can also eat the food, which is why you might want to avoid them.
Tube feeders, on the other hand, are perfect for protecting the seeds, but, they might be a bit more difficult to maintain. Lastly, suet feeders can be hung anywhere, which means that they’ll need to access the food through a mesh – keep in mind, choosing this option might deter larger ones since they’ll need to hang upside down in order to eat.
Birds love eating a wide range of food including seeds, insects, sugar water, as well as different berries. The option you choose will depend on what types you want to attract. For instance, sunflower seeds are perfect for attracting cardinals, while worms are perfect for seeing orioles in your yard. Hence, do some digging, learn what specific birds like eating, and then opt for the feed that will attract them.
Step 03: They Love Bathing!
Whether it is spring, summer, winter, or autumn, birds love bathing! And, if you choose to purchase a bath, you’ll be able to attract more animals than you could ever imagine. Like everything else on this list, there are a few types of baths that you can opt for buying, including:
1. Ground – this option is basically the most efficient since it is similar to the natural bath place – puddles. They can easily be moved, stored, and placed.
2. Stand – a pedestal is the same as the previous option, however, it is more beneficial for you since it will take birds of the ground level, which means that they’ll be more visible.
3. Drooping – by choosing to hang a bath on a hook or tree, the animals will be quite attracted to it. The only problem with this? Well, they are a bit more difficult to clean and maintain.
4. A Fountain – you can also opt for installing a fountain that will act as a bath. Why? Well, they love it when the water moves, hence, they’ll be attracted to it. However, keep in mind that they are a bit more expensive, hence, it might not be suitable for you.
Step 04: They’ll Need a Place For Sleeping
If you are planning on keeping them in your yard for a longer time, they’ll need a place where they can sleep and nest, which is why you need to ensure that they have a place to nest. When building or looking at some options, you’ll want to consider a few things, including:
1. The Entry – entry points need to be large enough in order for the animals to enter the house.
2. The Viewing Angle – you’ll also want to ensure that you can actually see them, so consider where you’ll place it.
3. It Needs to Have Air – if the place does not have air and if it is damped, they won’t stay there, hence, ensure that it has efficient drains.
4. Easy Maintenance – you won’t want to place it where you cannot access it for maintenance, hence, hang it on a branch that is closer to the ground.
Step 05: Start Your New Hobby!
Once you are done with all the aforementioned things, you can finally start your new hobby. The best time for bird watching is at dusk or dawn, mostly because they are quite active during that time. Ideally, sunny days are perfect for noticing some types and they’ll probably cool down in the birdbath you bought. Additionally, do not forget to blend in. If not, you might end up scaring the birds, which is something that you do not want to do.
As you were able to read and learn, there is a wide range of things that you’ll need to purchase in order to start bird watching in your backyard. However, by doing so, you can ensure that you attract as many birds as you can, which means that you’ll have a better, overall experience.
So, now that you are aware of all the things you might want to purchase and do, you might not want to lose any more of your time. Instead, you should start browsing various stores in order to find the bird watching items that will fit your requirement, needs, and more importantly, the budget you have.